14 September 2009

My first attempt at making dance music

I still do not know how to appreciate electronic dance music (EDM). The only thing I can do is nodding my head and shaking my body to the beat of head-bangking music and I suppose probably the best way for me to understand it is producing an imitative piece.

There are tons of electronic genres, such as techno, house, trance, electro, breakbeat, industrial and jungle, among which I will never be able to differentiate one from another unless I spend more than seven days in a row torturing my ears and aural nerves.

Well, it doesn't matter. One day I will.

I've been playing with some software and loops and managed to make a short piece, with samples taken from a track 'Mualif' in Alim and Fargana Qasimov: Spiritual Music of Azerbaijan, an album of Azerbaijani classical music and some newly composed works.

In the original track of 'Mualif', the singer urges a captain to devote his ship to God and follow the path of the Muslim saint Hizir, one of whose virtues is aiding lost travellers, to a safe haven.

Inspired by the song text, I created a track. I hope real dance music fans will call this 'dance music'.

No comments: